Educational Philosophy

Education is a social process. Education is growth. Education is not a preparation for life; education is life itself.

~ John Dewey

Our simple educational philosphy: we learn as we live and we celebrate what we learn!

Learning Through Living - Blogged


Recent Reads

Friday, September 07, 2007

Color Walk Paper by T

Same assignment as below.

It comes when nobody is looking, convening and sluicing, plotting where its next attack will be. Most don't notice it, but I do. This new evil may take over the world, but I'm going to put a stop to it. Some may get in my way, but I won't quit until this horrendous thing is erased from the face of the earth. This species is called brown patch and it is called this because it is coarse and brown and takes over your lawn one segment at a time. This disease's development favors torrid night-time temperatures above 70 degrees joined with a high humidity. To figure out how to stop this horrid invader, I went to a website and found that brown patch can be controlled by fungicides containing chemicals. But, the problem with pesticides is that when it rains they contaminate ground water because of runoff. So, I decided to figure out how to prevent this mushroom brown evil from suffocating the gloriously green earth without using harmful icky pesticides. To do that, I had to figure out the deeper cause for the heat. That task was easy. My parents know a lot about the temperature and why it's rising. Well, I assume they know because they are always talking about it and they aren't dunderheads. As it turns out my asking about the rise in the earth's temperature got them really excited and we talked about it for an eon. Ok, it was actually several hours. Coming out of this conversation, I learned many things. First, the recent rise in temperature is called global warming. Second, global warming has occured because of holes in the ozone. The ozone is in shambles because of dangerous gases being released into the air from hairspray, cars, and factories. All of these were created by humans, so in reality we are killing the plant we so need to survive. When I learned all of this, I was profusely angry. How could anyone stand back and watch their planet die without fighting to save it? Right then I decided I wouldn't be one of those people. I've started taking every moment of my free time to identify ways to help. Telling my friends about the predicament was fantabulous because they all offered to help save the planet. And, I think back on how it all started. I am surprised that one simple thing, brown patch, helped me to find my passion. Oh, and by the way, I figured out that the only way to stop brown patch is to stop global warming. I have a large feat to accomplish my goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

National Geographic Place of the Week