Educational Philosophy

Education is a social process. Education is growth. Education is not a preparation for life; education is life itself.

~ John Dewey

Our simple educational philosphy: we learn as we live and we celebrate what we learn!

Learning Through Living - Blogged


Recent Reads

Thursday, November 08, 2007

Learning Through Living

These past two weeks have been a bit crazy for our family. Gram had total knee replacement on Oct. 29. I spent quite a bit of time in the hospital until Nov. 1 when she came home. Then on Sunday November 3, I took Papa to the emergency room because he was having atrial fibrillation. He was hospitalized and a pacemaker was placed on Tuesday. I stayed at the hospital with him while my sister stayed with my mother at home. Papa came home yesterday. Both are recovering. Gram is even walking with a cane now!



So, what does this have to do with school?



Well, for starters, if we hadn't been homeschooling, I would have pulled the girls from school to help and that would have created a massive amount of "catch-up" work. Instead, they just took "school" with them for the past two weeks. They worked long and hard by themselves at home the last few days of October. They brought their work with them when we visited Gram in the hospital. Then, they Gramsat when I took Papa to the emergency room in the middle of the night. The next day, they walked home and got work to do and brought work back to Gram's house. They have kept up with their commitment to write a novel of 50,000 words in the month of November despite all of these other responsibilities. They cleaned the entire house, did the laundry, responded to emails for me when I wasn't around, and they cooked a lot! More important than the school work they did during the past two weeks are the life leasons about caring for others, being responsible human beings, and sharing what you can when you can.


I know some would not relate these things to homeschooling, but I am thankful that during these past two weeks I have been able to rely on these self-sufficient kids to help in a variety of ways. That is, at least in part, because we homeschool.

No comments:

Post a Comment

National Geographic Place of the Week