Educational Philosophy

Education is a social process. Education is growth. Education is not a preparation for life; education is life itself.

~ John Dewey

Our simple educational philosphy: we learn as we live and we celebrate what we learn!

Learning Through Living - Blogged


Recent Reads

Thursday, October 11, 2007

Short Piece by H

The array of shredded mozzarella cheese, BBQ sauce, and purple onions on the counter called my name. I gathered up the necessities (a rolling pin, pizza cutter, and cooking spray) and envisioned the pizza melting in my mouth. Before flattening the pizza dough into a misshapen circle, I pinched off a little bit of dough, rolled it into a marble sized ball and popped it into my mouth. Sweet satisfaction. I looked at the pizza next to my sister's and my dad's; his was much rounder. Giggling, I said, "Hey, Dad, remember that time we put the pizza in the oven and all of the toppings slid off the back side? Or, what about that time we were making that special pizza for mom and it was the size of a photograph?" My Dad chimed in, "Or what about the time we forgot to bake the crust first and it got all gooey." From the other side of the room, I heard a chuckle. "Or the time Tirion forgot the cheese." The smell of warm crust baking soon filled the room, bringing back memories of other things we had baked together: homemade bread, pumpkin pie, and baked brie. Smothering the warm crust with with BBQ sauce, sprinkling it with mozzarella cheese, and layering it with chicken and onions sent my salivary glands into overdrive. We turned on the oven light and watched the rainbow reds, purples, and sky whites bake. I was haunted by memories of making dinner for my mom when she was recovering from cancer when the timer screeched. I glanced in her direction, happy to her sitting there healthy with a smile on her face. As I was yanked from my nightmare, my Dad asked me to hand him the hot pads so that he could retrieve our delectable dinner. The stringy cheese, sharp tangy BBQ sauce, crunchy chicken and onions found a home in my hungry tummy. As we ate, I looked at my parents and smiled.

No comments:

Post a Comment

National Geographic Place of the Week